August, 2019

SASTA’s annual congress and IWC

SASTA’s annual congress and IWC

For both food and energy production, sugarcane is an invaluable crop. While sugarcane was first dedicated to sugar production alone, advances in technology have ensured that all parts of the sugarcane plant can be converted into energy. Producing bioethanol from the sugar in sugarcane, for example, has become one of the world’s most commercially successful biofuel production systems.  A source of both income and employment, sugarcane-based agriculture continues to play a valuable role in Africa’s economic development.

Sugarcane accounts for around 70% of the sugar produced worldwide (the remaining 30% produced from sugar beet) which is why it’s important to try and unlock the potential that this wonder crop has to offer. The South African Sugar Technologists’ Association (SASTA) holds an annual congress, which is now in its 92nd year, the congress provides the ideal forum for industry leaders to present and share scientific knowledge related to sugarcane agriculture and sugar milling best practices.

Industrial Water Cooling (IWC) has a long association with the sugar industry in South Africa and its neighbouring countries including the Indian Ocean islands. In fact, IWC recently completed and commissioned a 4-cell counter flow, pultruded glass reinforced plastic cooling tower for the Kagera Sugar Company in Tanzania.

“We are proud to support SASTA’s work to advance sugarcane agriculture and sugarcane processing,” says Deon Fawell, IWC’s sales and marketing manager. “Our exhibition stand at the 2019 event, held at the ICC in Durban, ensures that we have the opportunity to interact with new and existing clients, build upon all-important relationships and grow our knowledge of this R14 billion industry.”

IWC exhibition stand at SASTA 2019

The South African sugar industry consistently ranks in the top 15 out of (approximately) 120 countries worldwide. The success of SASTA’s annual congress can be attributed to the presentation of significant scientific and technological advancements to key role players in the industry. Through IWC’s globally-recognised, advanced engineered cooling solutions, we are proud to be recognised as an invaluable part of the sugar industry, a sector which places equal importance on cultivation and processing.

“IWC’s cost-effective solutions provide both smart and sustainable sugarcane production systems, improving processing plant efficiency throughout Africa,” adds Fawell. “The development of high sugar and biomass-yielding sugarcane is key for adding value and sustainability of the sugarcane industry in Sub-Saharan Africa.”

IWC’s core products and productivity-enhancing solutions include cooling towers, heat exchangers and chillers along with their allied spares and services. IWC also undertakes off-crop cooling tower refurbishments, repairs and repacks as well as conducting complete cooling system audits and inspections.

 

August, 2019

Next Article

The Sweet Spot: IWC’s New Pultruded GRP Cooling Tower Project